It was one year ago today that I found out that I was pregnant.
I had pestered Jared for months to let us get pregnant. I went off the pill and waited patiently (okay, impatiently) for the green light. He said we could start trying in September. I was so relieved when September came because it seemed like everyone around me was getting pregnant or giving birth. I was insanely jealous of every pregnant woman I knew or saw.
I never understood the commercials for the early pregnancy tests. They say, "Now you can test 5 days before a missed period." Why on Earth would anyone take a test to find out if they were pregnant if they hadn't even missed their period I wondered. As I sat through the "Two Week Wait", I suddenly understood. Those two weeks were some of the longest of my life. I made the mistake of reading "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" in the middle of my cycle, started charting my morning temperature, and convinced myself that I hadn't even ovulated.
I had spent the summer training for the Twin Cities 10 Mile. Training and preparing for the race was probably the only thing that helped me keep my sanity. Ani and I ran that race together. The day after the race I bought a two pack of pregnancy tests. I was convinced that I wasn't pregnant and dreaded taking the test. The first test I took came back with no result. I either peed too much or not enough on it. The second test came back with the faintest positive result.
There are three days of my life so far that I consider the best days of my life: my wedding day, the day Anika was born, and the day I found out that I was carrying her.


No comments:
Post a Comment